An Expression of Art

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Icing Color Bleeding

I've been asked several times if I have something to say about 'color bleeding'. By using the frosting recipes shown here and gel food coloring, I have never faced this problem. However, color bleeding is caused by many reasons. During the cake decorating classes that I have taken, I have always heard that other's cake frosting or cookie decorations have faded.

The primary reason was that they were left to direct SUN-LIGHT EXPOSURE. Make sure your cakes or cookies are not exposed to direct sun-light as this can fade the colors.

Also, MOISTURE is not good for frosting as this may cause the colors to bleed. Make sure your frozen cakes are completely thawed before you decorate them with colored frosting. The moisture from the frozen cake as it thawes will 'sweat' and dilute frosting ruining its consistency and in some cases diluting the color. Also, when you store your cake, do not cover it in an air-tight container as the cake will sweat if the heat rises.

When using COLOR FLOW, if the outline color is diferent than the filling, make sure you let the outline dry for a couple of hours before you proceed to filling your piece as this may cause bleeding.

If anyone reading this has any more comments to add, please feel free to do so. The purpose of this blog is to share our knowledge, please help us achieve that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you refreeze the cake after you decorate or will the colors still bleed?

Anonymous said...

I am new at cake decorating and am having problems with my black buttercream bleeding. I tried what you suggested but it still bleeds. You mentioned you have never faced this problem. What recipe for buttercream do you use? I use the wilton one they taught us in class. I can't believe you have never had you black icing bleed. Please help me if you can:)