The recipe shown here contains shortening. You can substitute the shortening with butter (see amount below**). However, this wilton recipe with shortening is one of the best for making flowers and roses, since the shortening helps create a good icing texture and consistency for decorating.
- 1 cup white vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 2 tablespoons of water or milk (this amount of water will yield a stiff consistency)
- 1 teaspoon of clear vanilla flavoring (to keep the white color of the icing)*
- 1lb. confectioners' sugar (pure cane works best)
- 1 tablespoon Meringue Powder
- A pinch of salt (optional-to cut down on the sweetness of the icing)
TIP: Sift your confectioners' sugar to avoid sugar lumps that can clog your decorating tip.
In one large bowl, cream the shortening, flavoring, water. Add the sugar and meringue powder in intervals while mixing on slow speed until the ingredients have mixed. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a Rubber Spatula. Continue mixing at medium speed until all indredients have mixed thoroughly.
Stiff consistency- See recipe above
Medium consistency- Add a teaspoon of water or milk per cup of icing above
Thin consistency- Add two teaspoons of water or milk per each cup of stiff consistency. One teaspoon of water or milk per each cup of medium consistency icing.
Read more about Icing consistency here
* Substitute any flavoring to suit your taste (vanilla, almond, butter)
** Substitute shortening with 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of butter at room temperature